Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Another day in Sweden!

Day 2 Today, we only had one hour of orientation about the online system and resources available to us here. After I and a group of us (Tina, Carolina, Eric and Aina) went around doing little errands for our stay here as a student. We had to get our Student card printed, pay for the Student Membership fee, then get the card stamped, get internet cables, and pay rent. I registered this morning so I couldn't pay for student fee or get it stamped... So there is still a lot for me to do tomorrow. Oh, I saw Lorelie again today. It is crazy how we both worked on the same research project together last semester. Anyway, after all running around we girls went to Lidl to do some grocery shopping. It is fun to visit since some food are different and I love to look at everything!! I wish we had a Swedish person though so I could ask questions and learn more about the culture. With all the bus/train ridding we did today I think I am getting used to reading the schedule and using it to get where I need to go. Hopefully I become a pro by the time I leave! Overall, it was a good day just hanging out with my group. 

It was snowing when I went to school! This is the road leading to my house.
 
These are two of my roommates, Caroline (she is from Spain) and Tina (she is from Germany). They are so sweet and fun to be around.


Lorelei and I with our new student cards! We are officially Jonkoping University students!! It was interesting getting our picture taken. We went to a picture both like machine and we took our own picture. We get three tries to get a good picture and then you select the one we wanted on our card. It was nice to have many tries to get it right!                                         
This is like the school cafeteria with the cheapest coffee on campus. The coffee is 5 krona which is about 77 cents in American currency. For lunch I had a sandwich and some coffee for 20 SEK (Swedish Krona). Which is bad!
This is Ania and she goes to the same school as Carolina. They both would like to become teachers and teach secondary school (ages 6-12). 


This is the bus/train stop for my university. After getting there I have about 7 min walk to my university building. This is where I buy my transportation pass. Unfortunately, I have to buy a new one every month.


This is me riding the bus! I feel like a marshmallow I have so many layers on! I usually wear my wool stockings, two pairs of socks, my silk underwear bottoms, a pair of pants, a cami, a silk top, a sweater, my huge snow coat, snow boots, and gloves. But I am still COLD!!! It has been about 0 to -3 celsius (32 to 26 celcius since I've been here. And this week it is suppose to get even colder! It is suppose to get down to about -13/-14 which is about 6-8 fahrenheit. 
Hopefully it doesn't get that low all the time...if not I don't know how I will survive!

No comments:

Post a Comment