Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Denmark!! Second country in Europe!

COPENHAGEN

Last weekend, I went to Denmark with Eunice. She is from Belgium and I meet her during the welcome week. I had a great time and it was wonderful exploring the city, eating great food, and being a little bit warmer (it only snowed once and the snow quickly disappeared)! 

After classes on Thursday (Feb 21st), we went to the station and of course our train had to be delayed so we had to catch the next train to Nässjö. Then since we missed our connection to Copenhagen, so we had to go to Malmö get the next train.  And after missing three trains we made it to Denmark!!!

The hostel (Generator) we were staying at wasn't too far from the train station, but after getting a bit lost for a while we made it and we were so ready for bed! (Friday Feb 22nd) In the morning we had breakfast at the hostel and then it was time to EXPLORE the city! Our plan for the day was just to walk around and find cool things that we wanted to see and do. We saw the Rosenborg castle, the National Museum, Nyhaven, and many other amazing buildings. We also the statue of Hans C. Anderson! He is the author of some famous fairy tales. We found many places that we wanted to visit later like some antique book shops and tea cafes. For dinner, I had smørrebrød which is the traditional Danish open sandwich and it is similar to Swedish Smörgåsbord. At night it was great walking down the shopping street since various musicians would be performing. 

The Rosenborg castle
It was really close to the hostel, but I didn't get to tour inside since I always missed the times to visit...

This is the main square of the city and it is on Strøget the main shopping street. 


This is Hans Christian Anderson!

The National Museum where we learned a lot about the Vikings!



We wanted to save money so we never used the bus system, but I think walking around let us experience more of the city than if we went quickly from one place to another. We found some great places because we stumbled upon it. 

This is the famous 
Nyhaven harbor in Copenhagen! 
We went to a church that had a sign "This is not a church." It was a church that was converted to a modern art center and it was interesting to see the pieces there.

 This is Danish smørrebrød! -->

We were just wondering around and we found this market place where different stalls sold their specialty. All the food looked really good and presented in a lovely fashion. 




When we crossed the bridge to Christianshavn, we found this interactive wall that showed places in Copenhagen, maps, facts, and it took pictures! It was a lot of fun! 


(Saturday Feb 23nd) We decided to eat at the student house we past yesterday, but we were too early so we decided to find another place. We passed this really nice book cafe so we decided to try it out (Paludan Cafe). The place was beautiful and the food was amazing! Books were everywhere, candles on all the tables, and the place smelt of coffee. :) I would visit this cafe all the time if I lived there!



*sigh Breakfast will never be the same... After our hearty breakfast we visited the Round Tower nearby. When we were there the King's guards had changed soldiers and so we got to see the parade after they did the ceremony.
                                                                                      At the top of the Round Tower
 

Eunice really likes architecture so we saw numerous buildings around the city. 
The Black Diamond. This is a cultural center for artists.

The Crystal.

Eunice wanted to see the Danish Design School (she is thinking of getting her masters there), but I wasn't interested so we split up while she went to there I went to Christian's Church, Our Savior's Church, the ruins at Christiansborg Place.

 Front view of the place

Back view and where the stables are

That evening we went to a small music venue to listen to "power pop." We showed up too early so we were told to leave (after accidentally walking on the opening act practicing! oops! haha Eunice and I had to laugh at ourselves). Anyway, the artists were talented and it was fun going to my first music venue. 



(Sunday Feb 24nd) For breakfast, guess where we head to?! The same cafe we went to yesterday, but instead of the vegetarian plater we had the one with bacon, sausage, and salmon. It was so good! Anyway, after that we headed off!

(Monday Feb 25th) We went to this cute on the corner tea shop that we passed a couple of days ago. On one wall, there was at least 20 types of teas you could smell then order. I thought I was ordering a cup of tea, but I got a whole teapot! So Eunice and I just relaxed as we each finished our pot! Then we went to some book stores. I was looking for a nice book of Han Christian Anderson's fairy tales, but no such luck. But at this store I found one! I was looking at the whole section of his works, but they were all in Danish, however, I found a beautiful older book of his stories! I am starting a book collection of story books from different countries I will visit!


After shopping, we split up since I wanted to visit things Eunice already saw before. Even though I was walking I saw a lot and visited almost everything I wanted to visit before our train at 6pm.













No comments:

Post a Comment